NAMI Finger Lakes Crisis/Support Information
If a crisis erupts with you or your ill loved one, use these Emergency Numbers for Ithaca, NY (we call this The Crisis File).
This is information we hand out in our NAMI Finger Lakes Family-to-Family course. We have included it here so anyone can access it. You may also print the Mental Illness Crisis File in PDF format.
These numbers will put you contact with not only emergency services, but also agencies and people who can help with related issues such as treatment, homelessness, trouble with the law, unemployment, etc. This information is current as of Feb 2015.
If your home situation has deteriorated to the point where your ill relative must leave or must be taken to the hospital for treatment, we have prepared a sample Intervention Plan.
Note: The Ithaca and Tompkins County Area Code is 607
Medical/illness/fire/emergency = 911
- Ithaca Police:
Emergency Police Number: 24 hours/day: 272-3245
- Critical Incidents Team: 272-9973 – Press 2 for Dispatch: Describe the situation. Dispatch will decide if Critical Incidents Team is needed. Mike Gray: 272-9973 ext. 2
- Cayuga Heights Police: 257-1011– Will get voice mail if office is not open. If you need help, do not leave a message – press 1. Call will go to dispatch.
- Tompkins County Sheriff (779 Warren Road)
- Administration: 257-1345
- Sheriff’s office: 272-2444
- Crisis situations: 911
- NY State Police: (1850 Dryden Road, Freeville, NY 13068)
273-4671 or 347-4440 – For emergencies ask for the Sergeant on Duty – Sergeant/Station Commander: Sergeant Soroka
- Cornell University Public Safety Emergency Dispatch – 255-1111 /Administration – 255-7302
- Ithaca College Campus Safety– Emergency Dispatch – 274-3353
Hospital: Cayuga Medical Center: (www.cayugamed.org)
- General Number 274-4011
- Behavioral Services Unit Desk 274-4304
- Behavioral Services Unit Patient phone 274-4336 (answered only during visiting hours)
Mental Health Clinic (201 E. Green St.):
- Commissioner of Mental Health: Sue Romanczuk: 274-6230
- Medical Director: John Bezirganian, M.D.
- Dual Recovery Coordinator: Richard Shaw:274-6300
- SPOE – Single point of entry: Richard Shaw:274-6300
- Out Patient Clinic (Court-ordered intake) 3rd Floor: 274-6230
- Outpatient Supervisor: Susan Spicer: 274-6230
- Emergency Outreach Service: Joanne Conway: 274-6230
- Forensics: Linda Riley: 274-6230
- General Intake: Beth Midura: 274-6200
- Children and Youth Unit: Joe Lyman 274-6200
National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI)
- NAMI-Finger Lakes Contact: 607-273-2462 or Jean Poland 266-8079 (firstname.lastname@example.org) www.namifingerlakes.org
Non-Emergency Health Care
- Family & Children’s Service of Ithaca, 127 West State Street 273-7494), (www.fcsith.org)
- Mental Health Association of Tompkins County – Adult services coordinator: David Bulkley 273-9250, 301 South Geneva Street, Suite 109, Ithaca, NY 14850
- Ithaca Housing Authority – Housing & Homeless Shelter, 798 S Plain Street, Ithaca, Ny 14850 – (607)-273-8629
- Lakeview Mental Health Services: (Housing) 114 S Geneva Street,Ithaca, NY 277-4768
- NYS State Office of Mental Health:(212) 831-7007 ()
- Tompkins Work Force New York, 171 East State Street, Ithaca NY (2nd floor, Center Ithaca)
- Tompkins Work Force New York, 171 East State Street (Center Ithaca), Suite 241, Ithaca, NY (www.tompkinsworkforceny.org)
Community Work Incentive Coordinator: Jason Harriot 793-8339 email@example.com
Disability Resource Coordinator: Shammi Carr 882-0231, firstname.lastname@example.org
- New York State Mental Hygiene Legal Services: Kevin Moshier, attorney: 271-926
- How to Help When a Person with Mental Illness is Arrested (pdf file) How To Help A Person With A Mental Illness Who Has Been Arrested