Are You Overwhelmed with Worry about a Loved One Suffering from Mental Illness?
Then please contact us - we've been there, and we can help you.
If you are in an emergency situation or need immediate help, please consult our Mental Illness Crisis File.
NAMI-Finger Lakes is the Ithaca, NY affiliate of the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI). We seek to:
- Support families and friends of people diagnosed with major mental illnesses
- Educate families and the public about mental illness
- Advocate for families and their ill relatives
NAMI-Finger Lakes is a non-profit organization run by unpaid volunteers. All of us have loved ones suffering from major mental illness. As a result, we are very familiar with Ithaca's social services for people recovering from mental illnesses, and we are happy to share our knowledge and experiences with you.
Our programs include:
- Confidential support groups
- Support for family members with patients in Cayuga Med's Behavioral Services Unit
- Family-to-Family Education Course for adults
- Educational events open to the public
- Speakers who will talk with college classes and community organizations about mental illness and its impact on families and our community
- A lending library of resource materials about mental illness
- Listserv announcing relevant events and information
In addition, our Get Help, Navigating the Maze of Mental Health Care, and Local, NY State, and National Mental Health Resources pages have extensive information on:
- Psychiatric care in Ithaca and in surrounding communities
- Missing and homeless relatives
- Dual-diagnosis (diagnosed with mental illness & addicted to alcohol/drugs)
- Mental illness and the criminal justice system
- Estate planning when you have ill relatives
- Avoiding other health problems caused by mental illness
We also suggest viewing What Is It Like to Have a Mental Illness?, which will help you understand the challenges facing your loved ones.
Please contact us - we are a safe harbor for your family's struggle with mental illness.
For More Information, Please Contact Us At:
Phone: (607) 273-2462
Mailing Address for Correspondence:
NAMI Finger Lakes, Inc.
PO Box 6544
Visit our Office (by appointment only):
NAMI Finger Lakes
West Side Office Center #3 430 West State Street Ithaca, NY 14850
We are in the same building as the Mama Goose children's clothing store - our entrance is around the back, off Corn St.. Look for the alley with the Bikram Yoga Sign. Walk up the alley, office entry is on the right. We are on the 2nd floor, office #3
See the Google Map below for directions to our building.